Basement Hideout

Over the last 50 years there has been millions of musicians creating millions of albums many of which never actually made it out to the masses. Often times the few copies that did get released end up in the basement of local thrift and record stores never to be heard again. In some cases that's a good thing but, whoever made that music did so because they wanted to share it with people. I want to give some of those artists a second chance. I hope you will enjoy what I post on this blog for what it is.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

What do you say to a naked lady?

Hmm...rape song anyone?
So wow where to start on this...when your listening through soundtracks for 4-5 hours at a record store you start to hear a lot of the same. This OST is filled with a lot of swingin upbeat tunes you'd expect from soundtracks in this era so as I started listening to it I wasn't expecting anything special.
My buddy was sitting on a couch behind me and suggested that I put on track 4 on side 1. I didn't notice when I put the record on the platter that there was a song titled "Rape is not as easy as it looks." Very apprehensive yet extremely interested I skipped forward. Since we were listening to this on speakers at our local record dungeon instead of headphones we managed to get an awkward look or two.
I don't think that I have ever laughed with rape as the subject matter but this one got me. A very tongue in cheek vaudeville song is what awaits you. If you have a good sense of humor this one will probably have the same effect on you at first listen. We decided to do more research before I posted about this OST (as usual).
It's not as unheard of as I had figured but still hard to find on vinyl. The soundtrack is from a 1969-70 film by Allen Funt (one of the producers behind candid camera) showing men's candid reactions to women appearing naked in everyday social situations. All of the songs actually make sense when you see them in the video. All except for the "Rape" track, that one is still a little bit ambiguous and it seemed it was kinda tossed into the film. If you watch the movie and have an analysis as to what its purpose was, let me know. I managed to find a full version of the movie for your streaming pleasure here.
If you just want to enjoy the silly/fun music:

No comments: