Basement Hideout

Over the last 50 years there has been millions of musicians creating millions of albums many of which never actually made it out to the masses. Often times the few copies that did get released end up in the basement of local thrift and record stores never to be heard again. In some cases that's a good thing but, whoever made that music did so because they wanted to share it with people. I want to give some of those artists a second chance. I hope you will enjoy what I post on this blog for what it is.

Friday, October 24, 2008

The Cross and the Switchblade

FUNKY PROPAGANDA
I got this for free yesterday when I bought a rare sexpolitation soundtrack (which I'll post later). I have to be honest it's starting to grow on me.
This is the soundtrack to a film based on a true story that I probably will never watch about a minister that helps a little gang banger change his ways. Collectors of secular film and music and probably Moltar (since this movie stars Eric Estrada) may want to watch the film but, I'm good with just enjoying the music.
To sum up the album...a lot of preachy, christian, follow god to get me out the ghetto nonsense. If you can get past the lyrics there is a lot of like able 70's flair and a few golden breaks that make listening to this record worth it. I'll point out...track 2 on the first side "Switchblade Theme"... can we say some wicked ass "Enter the Dragon" Lalo Schifrin style break action! Oh yeah!
This album was released on Light Records, apparently a christian label (go figure). If you wanna find out more about the label you can click here.